After a week of immersing myself in other passions (my family and reading-a book much to embarrassing to admit to have read, hint: the title has a number and a color in it), I am ready to divvy up more food ideas. This one comes from my sister Kathy, who's passion for delicious food is infectious. One of the many things that I've learned from her is that presentation counts. When all 5 of our senses are engaged we enjoy an eating experience even more. Kathy always remembers the slices of lemon and the sprigs of herbs that make a dish come alive.
The "Tree of Life" has brought cauliflower to a new level for me. A vegie that I once thought of as kinda boring is now great fun to present to others and so SIMPLE to make.
Here is what you need:
- an oven set to 400
- a foil covered cookie sheet (only for ease of clean up)
- a head of cauliflower
- 4 chopped garlic cloves (more or less depending on your taste)
- 2-4 TBL olive oil
- salt and pepper
- drizzle olive oil over the cookie sheet
- scatter the sheet with chopped garlic
- sprinkle it with salt and pepper (I added chopped rosemary and tarragon because I had some on hand)
- hold the head of cauliflower with its stem on the counter
- cut 1/2- 3/4 inch slices, as you cut closer to the stem you will find the "Trees of Life"
- carefully lay all of your pieces on your oiled cookie sheet
- bake for 20-30 minuets depending on the thickness of your cauliflower
- have a serving platter ready
- using a spatula, carefully lift "Trees" from the pan and flip them over on to your platter
- PRESTO- beautifully browned cauliflower trees
- for the full effect, sprinkle with chopped parsley and garnish with sliced lemon
Kath, thank you for opening my eyes to this culinary treat and to a countless number of others-